<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.kinksarethenewpink.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Kinks Are The New Pink: Getting Kinky: Box Braids

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Getting Kinky: Box Braids

Hi there!

So guys and gals, I have a confession. I've been having second thoughts about my natural 'do. You see I've become a little bored with the same old fro and I'm in dire need of something new to spice things up. I've thought about highlights or all over color, growing dreads (but I don't have the patience), or even chopping it all off and starting new again.

And then, as many of my epiphanies come about, I saw a girl randomly on the street with the best hair ever. And it was in braids. Long, chunky, beautiful braids. And right then and there it was decided that I too shall have braids this winter.

The boho box braid has been one of the trendiest hairstyles of the summer (Thanks Solange Knowles!), which is just more proof that the styles of the 90's are making a come back (I'm looking at you Janet Jackson).


I absolutely love the look and have truly developed an obsession, so much so that I have to have some to call my own. Box braids can make for a really great, low-maintenance, protective style, which is what I'm in the market for. Plus, it'll give my hair a much needed break and hopefully time to really grow.









Photos via: Pinterest / I Love Box Braids / The lovely Tomilola at Style Loveletters

I think I've finally decided on a stylist, so it's just a matter of booking an appointment and 'gitting r done' ;) Have any of you had or have braids, twists, etc? I would really love some tips on hair care and styles, I haven't had braids since high school so the more advice I can get the better. Feel free to share in the comments below and stay tuned for my new 'do!

Thanks for reading!

Labels: , , , , ,

15 Comments:

At October 11, 2012 at 12:13 PM , Anonymous Lauren said...

i've never had box braids but i have had kinky twists before and the only advice i have for you is to do a protein or some other kind of deep treatment before hand and make sure you have a nightly spray ready. you can dc with coconut oil and just a baggy and rinse or spray your scalp to get rid of the oil if you need extra moisture and since its just coconut oil if some of it stays in your hair its for the better. good luck! i've been eying that style for a while

 
At October 11, 2012 at 3:18 PM , Anonymous Aunt Joy said...

Never had braids, twists etc.....but I'm sure you're going to "rock" them very well. I can't wait. When are you getting them done?

 
At October 11, 2012 at 3:58 PM , Anonymous Aramide Esubi said...

You already know how I feel about them lol! I already want some more braids/twists and I haven't even taken mine down yet lol. I agree to keep your hair moisturized while you have them so your hair won't dry out. But other than that it's a very low maintenance style. You'll love them and I know you're gonna look great. Can't wait to see 'em!

 
At October 11, 2012 at 6:18 PM , Anonymous Eat.Style.Play said...

i love them, I'd been getting the bigger boxed braids for about 4 years on and off. I love them, the braiding salon I go to calls them "Poetic Justice Braids" I just recently started getting smaller ones and doing them myself after i hurt my neck in yoga with the Huge box braids. These that i have are a perfect size and very low maintenance.

 
At October 11, 2012 at 9:35 PM , Anonymous Ashlei said...

Thanks for the great tips Lauren!

xo

 
At October 11, 2012 at 9:38 PM , Anonymous Ashlei said...

Thanks Aunt Joy! Will probably get them done by the end of this month :)

 
At October 11, 2012 at 9:40 PM , Anonymous Ashlei said...

Thanks Dee Dee! You were definitely part of my inspiration :D

 
At October 11, 2012 at 9:48 PM , Anonymous Ashlei said...

Yes! "Poetic Justice Braids" are totally what I'm going for, haha!

 
At October 12, 2012 at 8:41 AM , Anonymous Stephanie said...

I've had this done so many times it's become my trademark and I love it. I want to get them a bit bigger than I had them before. I'll probably have my friend help me do them when she gets home from school. I am in love with these. I call them Poetic Justice braid too. Haha

 
At October 12, 2012 at 8:56 AM , Anonymous Ashlei said...

That's awesome! Y'all are making me so excited to get this done! :)

 
At October 12, 2012 at 2:25 PM , Anonymous Nia Everal said...

I'm in with the photos. If I might have to this style myself

 
At October 18, 2012 at 12:04 AM , Anonymous Iwannabefierce said...

I just put in senegalese twist. Although I do love it the hair can be a bit heavy at times. So I mostly wear it in a bun.

 
At November 8, 2012 at 5:33 PM , Anonymous Ashlei said...

Great Esha! Glad I could inspire you to try them out! :)

xo

 
At May 14, 2013 at 3:18 PM , Anonymous Sheriden G said...

I recently had box braids installed inspired by these ladies, seriously I had the 4th picture on my phone showing the braiding lady exactly what I wanted based off of her photo lol. I hated almost every moment of having that weave in my hair. So happy to have it out! It was sexy but me and weave just can't be friends. I get that now lol. I think I have a problem of always wanting the opposite of what I have. That could pose a problem later in life...

 
At May 14, 2013 at 11:31 PM , Anonymous Ashlei said...

I totally get what you mean! I enjoyed the look as it was very different, but after awhile I was like 'ok, over this!', haha!

And recently a friend of mine got braids and seeing her I'm like 'maybe I can do it again.....' ::smh:: it's an endless cycle, lol ;)

 

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! Feel free to leave a comment, I love getting feedback :]

Have a great day!

-Ashlei

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home